The note spells are found in 2 different locations, alongside the Kantele and the Huilu (aka Ocarina).
Notes can be used:
- as part of an attack spell combination (with modifiers to add damage and lifetime),
- to perform a Musical Curiosity (see below),
- to unlock a Crystal Key,
- or just to add sounds to your casts!
Using Notes as attack spells
Note spells are exceptional damage dealers as they deal damage every frame (1 second = 60 frames) with innate player-safe piercing for low mana cost. Since Notes are very short-lived, the best way to deal damage with them is to increase their lifetime and add damage dealing modifiers. Orbiting Arc, Spiral Arc, Phasing Arc, and Ping-Pong Path are useful for adding lifetime at no/low cost, with the first two also providing a bit of damage. The cast delay from Notes can be reduced by firing them as a payload from a trigger/timer spell or simply pairing them with a Chainsaw.
Notes are in the "Other" class of spells which means they cannot be used as a trigger. They also do not scale with Boomerang Spells or Concentrated Spells perks, however they do gain the damage benefit if paired with normal projectiles.
To activate a Musical Curiosity, a combination of the note spells must be played in a specific order.
Click to show/hide content.
It is not required to play the spells with their original instruments; the spells slotted into any wand will work just as well.
Upon completing one of the tunes, you will receive the message:
The world around you changes!
3 musical spells are known to exist, and each of them can be used once per world (but will reset in each NG+). Attempting to activate them again will show the message:
Seems like the musical energy is gone...
The 3 spells are:
- Summon Worm
- Spawns a Giant Worm near the caster.
- Summon Portal
- Creates a one-way portal above the caster, which leads to the peak of the Mountain near the starting area. This is the only known way to create a portal in an arbitrary location without the use of mods, although it's not possible to change the destination of the portal.
- Summon Bomb
- Summons a Holy Bomb near the caster, primed to explode. Stand back!
- Note: The Kantele variant does not work in the final version of the game.
In addition to the three musical spells, there is a fourth musical curiosity that involves a combination of Kantele and Huilu songs to be used. See the Crystal Key page for details.
Hints toward these melodies can be found in the world:
- In the horizontal portion of the tunnel that connect the Snowy Depths to the Lava Lake, there is a mural for one of the melodies: