Guide: How to Play
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a basic How to Play Guide for Noita. See the other Guides for more tips, and advanced techniques.
- Shoot enemies with your wand(s), and pick up the Gold nuggets they drop when killed
- Collect flasks and items, and use them for various purposes, such as healing, or giving buffs/debuffs
- Reach the Holy Mountain at the bottom of the level to get a full heal, have all your spells have their charges completely restored, shop for new wands and Spells (using gold), get new perks (free, but you only get one per visit), swap out the spells on your wands (done by opening your inventory), and continue to the next biome.
- Repeat previous steps until you have died or reached the final boss of the game.
- WASD to move and swim
- W or Space to levitate (has limited, recharging fuel)
- S to consume liquid (when standing foot-deep in it)
- Left mouse button to use a wand or spray potions from bottles
- Right mouse button to throw an item or a bottle, usually breaking it
- Number key or scroll wheel to select wands/items
- F to kick, and impart velocity into whatever is in front of you.
Tips and Tricks
- Water is very useful.
- It extinguishes you when you're On fire, solidifies lava into rock, and washes off most stains (toxic sludge, slime, ...)
- Douse yourself in water before approaching existing fires.
- Water has an alchemical reaction with toxic sludge, transforming it into more water.
- Despite being flammable, bathing in oil can also extinguish fires if done quickly.
- In the rare case you find a vast amount of oil or any amount enough deep enough to quickly submerge yourself, you can extinguish yourself if you swim down as fast as possible.
- Flasks are useful
- A few liquids (other than water) extinguish fire. Bathing in slime or blood may save you.
- You can refill flasks with liquid by holding the flask and orienting it such that the mouth of the bottle is inside the liquid. As such, the Holy Mountain zones are also a great opportunity to refill some flasks with water.
- Beware, multiple liquids can be combined in one flask.
- You can collect dangerous liquids safely. Gently throw an empty flask into them. As long as the flask doesn't land upside down, some liquid will enter it. Remove the surrounding liquid (perhaps by draining it away) and then collect the flask.
- Liquids have different densities, and will generally layer on top of each other, unless an alchemical reaction occurs.
- Acid can be very useful for digging downwards through almost every material, but will damage you very quickly.
- You can kick many things, including the lanterns, boxes, barrels, body-parts, and some inventory items.
- You can strategically kick many explosive-objects to move them around, to burn/explode them later at a desirable location.
- Kicking objects made of harder material - such as barrels, boxes, or minecarts - into enemies instantly kills them and it counts as an "accidental" trick kill, which gives you 2x gold.
- A perfectly timed kick can block a melee attack resulting in no damage.
- Chainsaws are very powerful.
- As the description says, they have some magical properties.
- Combined with Digging Bolts they are are a very useful combination for excavating, while also forming a formidable melee weapon at almost zero mana cost.
- The second starter wand is often useful
- With an amazingly low cast delay and recharge time, it can be great for Digging spells.
- In a pinch, it can also be used as a rapidfire but slow-recharge wand, whilst you look for something better.
- You can temporarily skip the Full Health Regeneration and Spell Refresher pickups at the entrance in each the Holy Mountain, and return to them later.
- You might do this after selecting or testing new spells, wands, and perks.
- You might wait until you've explored the next level a bit.
- Some enemies bleed lava, acid, or toxic sludge, so watch out where you are going after a fight.
- For an explanation of the wand system, see the Guide To Wand Mechanics
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get the beta version?
- In Steam:
- Make sure the game is not running.
- Right-click Noita in your Steam library and select "Properties".
- Then select the "BETAS" tab and select "noitabeta" in the dropdown.
- In Steam:
- (Other stores may or may not have a way to join the beta.)
- Where are the saves / configs / screenshots / gifs located?
- In Windows:
- In Linux (via Steam / Proton):
- In Windows:
- Where is my game installed?
- On Steam, you can right click Noita and select Manage > Browse local files.
- How do I install mods?
- See How to install mods
- Where can I find mods?
- See Mod:Noita Mods
- How do I play with a custom seed?
- Many ways. There's a steam mod, a modworkshop mod and a program available.
- How do I record gifs?
- F11. You need to enable this in the settings. Gifs go to save_rec\screenshots_animated in the appdata.
- How do I take screenshots?
- F2. Screenshots go to save_rec\screenshots in the appdata.
- My game doesn't work anymore!
- Not a question, but if it worked before, try deleting stuff from save00 in the appdata, deleting config.xml from save_shared, verifying game files on steam, clean install (see next question) or wait for an update.
- See also: Common Issues and Fixes
- How can I do a clean install of the game / reset progress / reset config (Steam)?
steamapps\common\Noitaunder your Steam library directory. Delete the
Nolla_Games_Noitadirectory in question 1. Reinstall on steam or just verify integrity of game cache to get a fresh copy!
- Why can't I restart the game from Steam for a long time after I close it?
- You should disable Steam cloud sync for the game from its properties. The saves are too big and sync can't handle them.
- Why are mods from Steam Workshop not showing up in game / "Get mods" is taking me to modworkshop.net, not Steam workshop?
- You need to actually start the game through Steam or a Steam made shortcut, not from noita.exe directly. On Linux try forcing Proton 4.11-12 or later in Steam.