Alchemy will not take place within the potion. For example, water will not harden lava and will not purify toxic sludge until the respective materials are removed from the potion. This can be used to create utility potions that have a desired effect when thrown. For example, a flask that is 50% water (or blood) and 50% lava can be thrown to create an impromptu rock wall at the impact location for protection or aiding escape.
- Holding a potion will display a capacity bar where the mana would normally be, indicating how much is left in the potion. The aiming-reticle will also display a "throwing-arc" in front of you indicating where the potion will end up if thrown.
- A potion will fill when (if possible) any liquids and the neck of the potion make contact with each other. When collecting liquid from shallow pools, aiming the cursor directly downwards gives the best opportunity to collect the liquid, short of tossing the potion bottle gently into the pool.
- It is possible to fill a potion bottle whilst standing below a liquid, if the barrier is thin enough, by holding the bottle 'upwards' and getting as close to the liquid as possible. This makes it slightly easier to collect liquids like Teleportatium.
- Potions can be sprayed with the Spray From Potion action ( or by default).
- Spraying empties the potion's contents towards the cursor, eventually producing an Empty Potion. Spraying a potion that is at 200% capacity will shoot out much further and faster, decreasing at 100%, 90% and 80%. It will make the sound of releasing pressure at a pitch relative to how full the potion is, with the lowest pitch at 1%. If a potion has more than one material in it, for example acid and water, half of the spray will be acid and half water.
- Potions can be thrown with the Throw action ( or by default).
- A potion can be easily and safely dropped by opening the inventory, dragging the desired potion very near to you, and releasing it. Dropped potions might still roll down slopes and break.
- Throwing or dropping a potion turns it into a grenade-like projectile, which will usually cause it to shatter. The further the mouse cursor is from you, the greater the force of the throw. If dropped gently enough close to the ground or thrown into a body of liquid, the potion can travel slowly enough to avoid being broken when it touches the ground again. A red “X” will appear at the end of the “throwing-arc” to indicate the flask will definitely break. Flasks can still sometimes break within the indicated safe-zone.
- Right-clicking on the potion within the inventory toolbar will drink it. 10% of each material in the potion is always drunk when consumed in this way, so a potion containing water and blood drunk this way will have 10% each of the water and blood removed.
- Drinking a potion has various different effects and fills your stomach based on the potion and will consume 10% if available. Drinking it at lower than 10% will reduce the effects accordingly.
- From item pedestals or chests in most biomes.
- The Mines will sometimes spawn with a room containing a lava pit and multiple shelves of potions, which is often populated by an Alkemisti, Stendari, or Ukko.
- The Hiisi Base sometimes contains one or more rooms resembling a bar, with mainly Whiskey potions, but sometimes one or two other potions.
- Potions that claim to contain 200% only come from an Alchemist or Fire Hiisi who throw potions at you as their primary mode of attack. These special flasks can only contain half (500) the regular capacity capacity of a flask (1000) but initially contain 1000 of fluid, hence measured as 200%. They can be acquired by grabbing them in mid-air or picked up if they are slowed by falling through liquid that slowed them enough to prevent them shattering. They can only be refilled once they drop below 100%, and only back up to 100%.
- Projectiles and explosions may puncture holes in potions laying around in the world, causing the liquid to leak out in a spray. Enough damage may cause the potion to shatter. Potions that have been damaged but not shattered will be fixed and returned to their normal state if you pick it up.
- If a flask is thrown too fast or is damaged too much, it shatters. Shattered potions can not be picked, unlike damaged potions. Upon shattering, a potion will release 20% of its remaining contents. The shattered potion flask will become a useless piece of glass.
- A thin layer of fluid can be picked up with some difficulty by safely dropping the potion on it. You may have to pickup and drop the potion multiple times to collect it.
- Although potions can hold an indefinite number of liquids, the potion tooltip will only show the three most numerous materials at a time.
- If a fluid is on top of a thin enough floor, you can collect it even from below the floor. This can be used to safely suck up hard to collect fluids such as lava or teleportatium.
- Drinking causes the ingestion effect of the liquid to remain active for a set duration (based on how much has been consumed) regardless of your stains, perks or movement. However, drinking will use up the substance permanently whereas liquid on the ground can be picked up again. Some liquids (notably Invisiblium and Ambrosia) do not have the same effect when consumed as when stained, and may even poison you.
- Spraying upwards with most liquids while flying allows you to fly further.
- Reactions like water reacting with lava to produce rock and steam only happen when the spray from the potion collides with something else in the world.
- Because a potion sprays materials out equally regardless of the actual ratio of the contained materials, this can allow you to somewhat filter out unwanted material.
- You can create (with some difficulty) very strong throwable weapons if you mix certain reagents in a flask. For example, lava and toxic sludge will create a large amount of Toxic Rock when thrown at an enemy, potentially surrounding them with the toxic material.
- Naturally spawned random material potions are the only way to Fungal Reality Shift many powders which do not appear in the shift material table.
The potion generated for you at the start of a run uses the Starter Pool.
potion.lua (a regular potion) is asked for, it generates a potion according to the below table.
|25%||A random Normal Material potion.|
Regular Treasure Chests have a 10% chance to contain a potion, which can be any of the following types.
|98%||A Regular Potion|
|1.96%||A Secret Material Potion|
|0.04%||A Random Material Potion|
Great Treasure Chests
71.4% of item pedestals have a regular potion on them.
Potions may be generated with different contents depending on where and how they are obtained. The below lists document the chances for each individual type of potion to be spawned.
This pool is used to generate the starting potion at the beginning of a run. It rolls randomly for first the category, and then the potion type produced. Bold probabilities list the chance per roll, and the final italic probability measures the overall chance for that outcome compared to all others in this pool.
|65%||A form of water|
|1%||Rare Potions||Either one of:
or, if neither of those rolls succeed, one of:
Normal material potions can select any of these results with equal probability:
This table includes all of the magical liquid materials.
|Chaotic Polymorphine||Concentrated Mana||Flummoxium|
|Polymorphine||Unstable Teleportatium||Worm Pheromone|
This selection mainly includes unusual and rarely-found materials along with a couple slightly more common materials, randomly selecting one of:
|Fungal Spore||Glowing Fungal Spore|
This material pool will randomly select one of the following options with equal probability.
|A random potion from the Normal Material pool.|
51/101 (50.5%) chance for a random liquid material and 50/101 (49.5%) chance for a random powder material from the following pools. This includes many hazardous materials rarely seen in the game. (Ex.Creepy Liquid or Monstrous Powder)
- Urine spawns in a jar instead of a potion. Jars are identical to potions except in name and appearance. This is a reference to Jarate from Team Fortress 2, which is also urine in a jar.
- Starting from 100%, it takes 17 seconds to empty a potion, and from 0% takes 5 seconds to fill (if fully submerged for the full 5 seconds).
- Prior to the 1.0 Official Release, potions were referred to as flasks.
- Oct 11 2019:
- Added a rare chance for a regular potion to contain Purifying Powder.
- Added a chance for secret potions to contain Purifying Powder.
- The check for if a flask is Healthium/Purifying powder does not run from 1 to 100, but 0, and it checks if the number is less than 75, meaning the odds are 76/101, not 75/100 as zero is a possible outcome. And although purifying powder cannot spawn if healthium is picked first, that doesn't happen 99.96% of the time [(100 - (51/100,000 * 100))] and the check for purifying powder runs from 200 to 100,000, checking for anything less than 250, meaning 200 numbers are not generated and it is essentially 51/99,800, making its appearance rate very very very slightly higher.
- Two possible swamp potions can be given:
water_swamp. One spray is opaque brown and one spray is transparent light green, the former is a darker shade on the hud as well.